Monday, March 10, 2008

Tales of my 1st Week Adventure

Well, after completing my first week of teaching at Shanghai normal University, I took off on my 1st adventure to the center of the city on my 1st Friday. I took the underground Metro from where I am staying in the southern part of Shanghai to the city center, or Peoples Square. The Metro is very modern and fast. It stopped about 7 times but timewise seemed like nothing. However, there are just a lot of people riding. Take a look at my ridemates to the right.

After getting off at People's Square, I took the Nijing Rd. east toward the river. Nijing Rd. is now a walkway and lots of tourist shops there. Every 50 feet I had a hawker ask if I wanted to buy a watch, handbag, shoes or DVDs. The road ends up at the waterfront called the Bund, I heard it say that it is of German origin, but reading about it, maybe India is more correct. Kind of cold, lots of tourists from China and Japan, not many caucasion folks.

A Chinese fellow comes up to me and starts talking in English. I think he is going to try some scam but we continue walking and talking. He is interesting and offers to take me to the "Old City." We stop for "tea" (famous tea house supposedly) and he continues giving me history and talks about life in Shanghai....very interesting. He is an engineer working for GE in town. He is not originally Shangalese and talks about how expensive to buy a house (apartment). The idea that he is not from here suggests that he will not inherit a place in town. Something like $500,000 to buy. On his $500 per month engineering salary he just can't do it. He is not married and talks about how hard it is to find a girl that will settle for someon that probably will struggle to live. After about 3 hours he goes on his way and only shakes my hand, gives me a card (he would like to be an interpretor in his free time), and leaves. Well, no scam.

In my walks I did eat what you see to the right....on a stick of course. All in all a great day.

On my way back down to the Metro, I say a young lady with a toddler on on her back and two shopping bags in her hands pause at the top of the stairs. I offered to take the kid and did. We went down the stairs and and a train was leaving to the right. Well there was also on to the left and I didn't know which one I was suppose to be on. She ran to the train and jumped on. Well, I was a little hesitant and got there as the door was beginning to close. I stuck the kid in and the door closed half on him and my arm. The lady finally realized what was going on and took the kid. I pulled my arm out of the closed door as the train was moving away. I then contemplated what had just happened. What if I had waited a half second more and not stuck the kid in. Me in a subway with a kid, not speaking the language. I mean no body speaks English. Wow.
More to come I'm sure.

3 comments:

Browers said...

Sounds like a pretty exciting first day out. I can't believe that an engineer only makes $500 dollars a month...or was it a week. Either way, that seems crazy.

Was that a sea horse that you ate for lunch? What an experience.

You thought the first guy was going to scam you, but maybe the lady with the kid was trying to scam you and pawn her child off on you, that is why she tried to lose you on the train...maybe not:) But I could see that happening on TV. Doesn't China still have rules on how many kids you can have?

Good luck with you second week, it is nice to read about all of your adventures!

Unknown said...

Wow - I almost got a kid as a present from China? Now that would be exciting!! Maybe I can have two? Never that about asking for one of those before - next time just walk off with the kid and see what happens! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a very interesting day! I would have thought that more people would speak English. When I was in France everyone spoke English!

It was very nice of you to help that lady...although I can't believe she gave you her kid to hold as opposed to her groceries! Well, maybe you can find another one so you can bring home a kid for mom! :)