Monday, March 31, 2008

Adventures in eating

Yes, that's right what you see are chicken feet. This picture was taken at a street-side market. I guess this is favorite for some, my co-teachers are fond of them. We had lunch together once and they ordered them. I did try one, but didn't see what they saw in them. All you can really eat is the very outside of them since the inside is grissly bone. This same fellow delivered a final problem to me last night and took me out for a beer on campus at one of the restaurants. He asked what I wanted to eat and I told him I would be happy with anything. He ordered two dishes. One was seafood that he couldn't give me the English name for but it was nickel-sized little grissly-like jellyfished shaped thngs that had tiny tenticles on them. Not all that tasty. The other plate was a dove. They prepare their fish and birds by cutting them up and cooking bones and all. Well, dove was blackened and I thought I saw a shape that looked like a beak, but as we ate down the meat and bones, there was no mistake about it. It was the dove's beak, head and neck. Well, he ate it.
Saturday night I was invited to dinner at Wangping's friend's home. June, William and their two children, Cynthia and Garret. We ate in the restaurant in the bottom of their appartment building. They have been back to Shanghai for 6 months after years in the states. He is a citizen and she has submitted the paperwork. Great time. Best English I have heard or spoken in 4 weeks. I feel that my speech is evolving into a slow, repeating monotone voice. Students, co-teachers and everyone here.
I'm sitting in one of the guest houses writing this because it has an internet connection. I just met a Swiss guy that is here for 5 months working on a dissertation. He speaks English quite well. He was just in Beijing for a week in an intensive Chinese language course. He speaks Spanish, German, Italian. Very interesting to hear about impressions that the world has on what is going on in America these days.
Bye for now-I have to make sure I'm prepared for class tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It must have been nice to speak some English for awhile!

Unknown said...

Okay - that is disgusting! They are eating the very things I'm feed day after day in my backyard! No, not chickens but the doves! Goodness! And to think I almost cried when I found a bird head in the garage courtesy of the cat - who is engineered to eat such creatures!
Oh my!