Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day to Day life in Shanghai

I wish I could view all the comments! It will give me something to do when I return....only one more week to go.

Here are some pictures of the environment around where I am living. I live on campus in a guest house. The one I am in is for foreign students. I think I am the only adult. But it is quite and they all treat me very well, from the maid, to the front desk, to the servers in the canteens. Unfortunately, no one speaks any English. So we smile and I say either "ne-how" hello or "tsia-tsia" which is thank you.






The first picture is the fruit stand and the fruit guys (along with a gate guard that was standing there). It is just down the street. Then comes one of the vendors that are continously busy making a kind of tortia that has either vegetables and meat or egg, and bacon. Very good and very greasy. Even when I don't stop to buy something, this fellow will wave at me.






Next is the bakery lady. She is there I think from early in the morning to about 9:00 pm when things begin to close up. I get bread-type things for my breakfast (I have to leave for the bus before anything opens up). I usually have a cup of tea, piece of fruit and seetbread.

The coffee guy is in the orange outfit. It is a little booth where they make drinks for the students. It really isn't coffee, more like warm chocolate, but it is the closest thing here to coffee.



Then there is Sarah's. A restaurant with "american" food. They even have silverware on the talbes for you to use. My first visit there was great I thought. I had western style rice it was called. I even ordered a beer. It wasn't all that good, but I thought I just ordered the wrong thing. Next time I looked at the menu closely and all they really had was the rice and spagetti. I guess students that think this is american eat there. I won't go back. I kind of am getting to like Chinese food I guess.

I though outside the gate and down the street to the first intersection here is a typical picture of a scooter rider with a mask (The air isn't all that pristine here, kind of reminds me of Denver). In the background is a street vendor selling grapefruit. All along the streets are folks selling some kind of food. All for now.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never seen anyone in Denver wearing a mask against the pollution! So I think Shanghai must be quite worse!! I've had some people comment that you will need to detoxify your body when you come home - to get all the impurities out of your system that you have been breathing.
Wonder how you do that?

Unknown said...

The pictures around your neighborhood are fun to see. Sounds like you are making friends with the vendors even though you don't speak the same language! I guess that is what smiles are for! :)